I'm Baaaack...with Middle Eastern Recipes!

Wow! Apparently Miss Rosalee is a blog-blocker; I haven't made a single post since she came home! In fact, I bribing her with a cookie just so I can write this! Well, here I am, still alive and well, and expecting another baby! I really have to change my avatar - we're missing a couple of family members...

So, I'm here to post a few recipes from last night's supper, at a friend's request. the menu was baked falafel, cucumber and tomato salad, middle eastern potato salad, and cumin raisin couscous. Now, anyone who has come across my recipes before will have seen my disclaimer; *I DON'T MEASURE!* - there, you are warned. I typically get my list of ingredients my looking at several recipes and adding whatever else I think would work and then putting it all together in the amounts that seem to taste right. I will, however, take a good guess at what I used:

The falafel is easy - I used this recipe from Taste for Adventure:



Now, of course, I didn't actually measure to make sure I had the same amounts as the recipe, but it was somewhere in the ballpark and it was DELICIOUS! To go with the falafel (which we ate as patties instead of in a pita) I made this sauce:

Garlic Tahini Sauce

1/2 C tahini
1/2 C water
3 tbsp lemon juice (I really like tangy, so you might want to adjust for taste)
1 tbsp minced garlic
Salt - to taste (we don't use much salt in things - other people might want more)

Combine all ingredients and whisk together.

As sides we had:

Tomato and Cucumber Salad


2 large tomatoes, diced
1 large cucumber, diced
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
2 tbsp oil (you can use EVOO, but I used flax seed oil)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt (or less)
1/2 tsp pepper


Mediterranean Potato Salad (OMG, this was so good!!!!)

5-6 medium red potatoes, cubed and boiled (you could use any kind - the red's just looked pretty!!)
1 bunch green onion, chopped
3/4 C garlic tahini sauce
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp coriander1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp mint
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt, to taste
*Note* These spice measurements are truly an approximation. Just play with it until it tastes right!


Cumin and Raisin Couscous


2 C couscous, cooked
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/4 tsp cumin
Pinch salt

Unfortunately, none of the food lasted long enough for me to take photos of it, so I will update with photos next time we make it!

As an important side note, leftover Cucumber and Tomato Salad and  Cumin Raisin Couscous = YUM!

As a bonus, I also made Chocolate Brownie "Larabars" yesterday (though I made them into little balls for the girls). They were FABULOUS, though you will need a vita-mix (or maybe a really good food processor) to make them. I just made mine up, but Chocolate Covered Katie has a very similar recipe that you can check out here.






I hope you enjoy your Middle Eastern menu (and special treat)- we sure did!

Comments

  1. Made the falafel and garlic tahini sauce last night, and they were AMAZING <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts